Homeowners in Texas are no strangers to the effects of severe weather. Torrential rainfall, high winds, and even unexpected hail storms cause millions of dollars in property damage each and every year. While any exposed property is at risk, roof damage is by far the most common result of storm-related weather events.
As much as we expect our homes to withstand the effects of severe weather, storm damage is simply a fact of life. After any storm, homeowners need to be diligent in their efforts to assess the condition of their roof.
While assessing roof damage might be as simple as a quick perimeter check and a casual inspection from ground level, a more thorough examination will be necessary to ensure that no problem areas have been overlooked. We urge homeowners to stay safe and rely on roofing professionals to perform these detailed inspections.
Although most roof damage might be immediately evident, some potential issues will be difficult to detect. This is especially true in the case of damage caused by hail storms.
The impact of hailstones will often damage the protective layer found on asphalt shingles, and as a result, the affected shingles will begin to deteriorate more rapidly. When these issues go unchecked, problems may not be evident for weeks, months, or even years down the road.
Roof damage that requires repair or replacement will involve filing an insurance claim and scheduling an adjuster to perform the initial claim inspection. We encourage homeowners to have an experienced roofing professional onsite during this inspection to ensure that no details are overlooked and nothing is left to chance. Often times homeowners prefer to have their roof inspected prior to contacting their insurance company and any quality local roofing company such as Elevated Roofing would be more than happy to assist with a preliminary roof inspection.
Once an inspection has been performed, homeowners will need to secure bids for roof repairs or replacement. Choosing a contractor that is most qualified is the best course of action, as there is no savings passed on to the policyholder if a low bid is accepted.
In the event of an unfortunate storm, the following checklist will help Texas residents to assess the condition of their roof and take the steps necessary to expedite repairs.
During any visual inspection, homeowners should always photograph and document any damaged areas, whether on the roof or in other areas of the home.
Initial Inspection – Homeowner
- Check for immediate evidence of water damage inside the home, by inspecting attic spaces, ceilings, and overhead light fixtures.
Walk the perimeter and look for visual signs of damage:
- Broken tree limbs and debris on the roof and surrounding structures.
- Limbs and other objects that may have caused obvious structural damage to the roof.
- Large sections of shingles torn from the roof by high winds.
- Missing, torn, or cracked shingles.
- Shingles around the perimeter of the home.
- Granules from damaged shingles collected in gutters, around downspouts, and around the foundation area.
- Dents and pock marks in flashing, vent caps, and gutters.
- Dents or dark spots on intact shingles.
Contact Your Homeowner’s Insurance Provider:
- Contact your provider as soon as there is evidence of any property damage.
- Organize notes and photographs from your personal inspection.
- Schedule an onsite inspection with your Insurance Provider’s Adjuster.
Contact A Local Roofing Professional:
- Contact a trusted, local roofing contractor to meet with your adjuster during the scheduled inspection.
- Based on the final inspection, secure bids to perform the necessary repair work on your roof.
We understand the emotional and financial stress that will result from a tragic weather event. If you’ve been the victim of storm damage, we encourage you to contact us immediately and schedule a no-cost inspection to assess the condition of your roof.
Once our qualified technicians have made an accurate determination of what repairs will be necessary to return your roof to its original condition, we will be able to offer a professional estimate to complete the repairs.
Get your free consultation today
We are one of the top premier roofing companies in the DFW area, with over 40 years of experience. As such, we take great pride in using the highest quality materials for all of our repair and installation projects. We have spent the past 20 + years building on our reputation as a leader in the residential roofing industry by ensuring each and every client receives the highest level of customer service and workmanship possible.