Did you know that in the state of Texas, there is not currently a license requirement for roofing contractors? That’s right. Anyone can call themselves a roofing contractor, but not even have a license or maintain registration in the state. This can make it difficult for homeowners and businesses to find quality and reputable companies to work with. After all, a roof is one of the most integral parts of the structure and integrity of your home or business.
Fortunately, the Roofing Contractors Association of Texas (RCAT) developed a program that offers licenses to roofing contractors. This program increases consumer protection through voluntary self-regulation. While contractors do not have to obtain a license from the RCAT, it helps to let property owners know that a roofing contractor has what it takes to provide a high quality of work.
To qualify and obtain an RCAT license, roofing contractors must meet strict requirements and qualifications, including:
- Be a principal in a roofing company in the state of Texas for at least three years
- Submit credit references and business references
- Submit proof of financial responsibility, including bonding, insurance, and workers’ compensation
- Provide a completed application statement
The original RCAT license is good for one year from the date of issue. Roofing contractors can renew their license every year by:
- Completing continuing education credits
- Maintaining consistent adherence to original guidelines for required licensing
How Do You Find Out If a Roofing Contractor Is Licensed in Texas?
Homeowners and business owners often want to know how to find out if a roofing contractor has a license from the RCAT. There are many ways you can do this:
- Ask and Verify. You can ask the roofing contractor directly if they have a license from the RCAT and if they can furnish a copy of this license for you to verify. Make sure that they are in good standing with their insurance company by calling and verifying that as well.
- Contact the RCAT. To verify that the roofing contractor has an RCAT license and is in good standing, you can contact the RCAT directly at (800) 997-6631 or (512) 251-7690.
It is important to verify that the roofing contractor you choose has the necessary skills and requirements necessary to perform outstanding work. It is also important that they have the necessary protections and insurances in place to cover any accidents or injuries that may occur on your property. For example, at Elevated Roofing, we have a $10M insurance policy. Our policy includes workers’ compensation. This is the best you will find in the DFW metroplex.
Your roof is important. A poorly constructed roof can cause serious structural damage that could cost you thousands of dollars in repairs down the road. Do not leave that to chance! Here are 10 questions you should ask before hiring a roofing contractor for your roofing project.
Contact the Experienced Roofing Professionals at Elevated Roofing
If you need a new roof or if you have concerns about your existing roof, give us a call at (469) 305-0010. We are a licensed, insured and local roofing contractor based in Frisco. On top of that, we are one of only about two percent of roofing contractors in North America to have earned Master Elite™ status with GAF.
We offer a free, no-obligation roof assessment. We will provide you with an honest and detailed photo inspection report of your roof’s condition, so you can make the roofing choice that is best for you and your family.