Roof flashing is an important part of your roof. The right flashing will protect your home and keep your roof safe from water damage and leaks. There are many types of roof flashing. You may choose to incorporate each of these types in your roof or a combination of these types to adequately protect your home from water damage and leaks. At Elevated Roofing, we can help you understand the types of roof flashing that are available and how it may protect your home from damage.
Types of Roof Flashing for Your Home
Common types of roof flashing include:
- Continuous flashing. Continuous flashing is one long piece of flashing that protects the joint between the vertical walls of the house and the slope of the roof.
- Drip edges. Drip edges protect the edges of your roof. They are installed under the roof along the eaves. It helps water move away from the roof when it rains or storms.
- Valley flashing. You can find this W-shaped metal flashing on the valley of the roof where two roof planes join.
- Vent pipe flashing. This cone-shaped flashing covers pipes in the roof.
- Step flashing. Roofing contractors bend this flashing 90 degrees and use it for roof-to-wall coverage.
- Base flashing. Roofing professionals install this flashing as a bottom piece to help direct the rain downward and prevent damage.
- Cap flashing. Cap flashing goes around chimneys, walls, windows, and other flat areas. It runs water off in the opposite direction.
- Counter flashing. Counter flashing is similar to cap flashing. It is placed opposite of base flashing to complete the coverage.
- Chimney flashing. You can apply this flashing directly around chimneys. It typically consists of a base and cap flashing together.
- Saddle flashing. This flashing covers protruding beams or railings.
- Skylight flashing. Some skylights come equipped with their own flashing. This protects the skylight and the roof from damage.
- Kick-out flashing. Kick-out flashing may be used to bridge the gap between step flashing and gutters. It directs water away from walls and into the gutter.
Flashing helps direct water away from the cracks and fixtures in your roof and home. With the right flashing, your home will stay dry, and your roof will last longer. Determining the right combination of flashing for your home is not easy. That is why most homeowners turn to professionals for help. At Elevated Roofing, our team can examine your roof and ensure your roof’s flashing protects your home.
At Elevated Roofing, we go a step further and install an ice and water membrane wherever water may travel or gather. This ice and water membrane even self seals if a nail punctures through it. For example, we install this in valleys and around penetrations, flashings, chimneys, vents and pipes.
Contact Our Experienced Roofing Professionals
Do you have questions about your roof’s flashing and its integrity? If so, give us a call at (469) 305-0010! We offer a free, no-obligation roof assessment. Our professional Frisco-based team will come to your home and help you understand your roofing options. We will provide a detailed assessment of your roof’s condition with a photo inspection report so you can make the roofing choice that is best for you and your family. Call today or contact us online to get started.